Ambri, an energy startup commercializing an innovative battery technology first developed at MIT, is seeking a Process Automation Engineer to develop the automated manufacturing line for Ambri’s DC system product.
Ambri is seeking an individual to be a key member of the Ambri Advanced Manufacturing Engineering team. The position requires working collaboratively with other engineering disciplines to design novel solutions to complex utility scale energy storage challenges using Ambri’s LiquidTM Metal Battery technology. The individual in this role will be called upon to be an innovative problem solver, provide technical leadership, work cross functionally, and communicate effectively with others within and outside the organization.
- Apply industry standard manufacturing principles and automation process knowledge of to develop an automated manufacturing line for battery cells and modules.
- Create and develop new process automation from existing engineering process parameters with consideration for process cost and its contribution to the total product cost.
- Anticipate the Quality requirements for traceability down to the raw material lot identification.
- Communicate the capability of a system-level automation design concept to internal and external stake holders to ensure requirements are met, including assessment of alternative and competitive design concepts.
- Obtain input and feedback with cross-functional and cross-discipline technical experts and designers to communicate subsystem and system-level designs through the design process into production
- Support the development of design verification and system validation plans and evaluate analytical and experimental test results to verify that manufacturing processes meet internal technical requirements
- Assess use of external automation consultants and equipment suppliers where practical to improve process quality, reliability and project timeline.
- Work with/manage external Automation consultants on recommended system design concepts and work with selected suppliers to meet project timelines.
- Develop a full set of manufacturing process equipment specifications and requirements to enable full duplication of initial system.
- Manage automation system capability and risks assessment through the use of Design and Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (D/PFMEA) in the execution of processes such as Critical Design Requirements, process inputs and outputs, and risks to product quality in order to demonstrate a solid error/defect free product output.
- Utilizes experience with Product Failure Mode Avoidance to mitigate potential failures for complex systems and components
- Develop appropriate spares and maintenance plan for to mitigate unplanned down time.
- Provide critical feedback to mechanical design team for making CAD design and engineering changes to existing designs in production to support product quality and manufacturability.
- Must have a BSME degree, MSME or higher preferred
- 5+ years of mechanical designing automation systems.
- Extensive experience with mechanically integrating systems
- Extensive experience with automation system integration including PLC programming, data capture and data base communication.
- Demonstrated excellent problem-solving skills
- Must have excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability of working well within a team and independently to achieve results.
- Advanced battery pack design and electronic assemblies
- Strong process development capability with quality, cost and throughput considerations.
- CAD 3D component and assembly design and 2D drawing creation
- Must have permanent legal authorization to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship
Why work at Ambri?
Ambri offers its employees a fantastic opportunity to advance a career while commercializing a transformative technology that will change the entire electricity industry. We are a venture capital-backed company with high-integrity leadership that is focused on making positive change. You will be working on a novel liquid metal battery technology in an environment that encourages creativity and out-of-the-box thinking while driving towards results. Our team is small, and you will have the opportunity to take on a great deal of responsibility. We have a top-tier benefits package and extra employee perks such as weekly company lunches and semi-annual community service outings.
Ambri is an MIT-spin-out company that is commercializing an innovative grid-scale electricity storage technology that will transform the way power grids are operated worldwide. Ambri’s ‘Liquid Metal Battery’ will lower electricity costs, enable more widespread adoption of renewable resources like wind and solar, and improve grid reliability. Ambri is headquartered in Marlborough, MA. The company is backed by top-tier investors including Bill Gates. We are constantly seeking intelligent, creative, and ambitious individuals to join our team to help us change the world.
Ambri is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration. Ambri does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability or serious medical condition, protected genetic information, political beliefs, status as a veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.