Ambri, an energy startup commercializing an innovative battery technology first developed at MIT, is seeking a Mechanical/ Sr Mechanical Engineer to work in the Advanced Manufacturing group to develop the mechanical design of product handling and manufacturing equipment for Ambri’s DC system product.
Ambri is seeking an individual to be a key member of the Ambri System Engineering team. The position requires working collaboratively with other engineering disciplines to design novel solutions to complex utility scale energy storage challenges using Ambri’s LiquidTM Metal Battery technology. The individual in this role will be called upon to be an innovative problem solver, provide technical leadership, work cross functionally, and communicate effectively with others within and outside the organization.
- Apply specialized mechanical knowledge of engineering principles and practices specifically for energy storage applications to resolve the unique requirements for the cell and module level manufacturing equipment.
- Create and develop new manufacturing equipment designs from prototype to production considering application, cost, weight, performance, thermodynamics, reliability, durability, manufacturing, assembly, and field serviceability
- Communicate the capability of a system-level and component design concept to internal and external stake holders to ensure requirements are met, including assessment of alternative and competitive design concepts
- Obtain input and feedback with cross-functional and cross-discipline technical experts and designers to communicate subsystem and system-level designs through the design process into production
- Coordinate with Automation Process Engineer on interfaces and expected performance.
- Support the development of design verification and system validation plans and evaluate analytical and experimental test results to verify that new automation designs meet internal technical requirements
- Design handling systems with flexibility in mind that support manufacture of current products but allow for a range of product manufacturing without a major capex investment.
- Design CAD 3D components and assemblies, 2D drawing creation in Solidworks (Pro-E, AutoCad or equivalent tool), including thermal constraints (material selection, cooling, insulation, fan selection, etc.) taking into account functional, material, thermal, regulatory and cost requirements
- Support system capability and risks assessment through the use of Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) in the execution of processes such as Critical Design Decisions, System Design and Validation Consideration Checklist, Design Review and utilize tools including Dimensional Variation Analysis (tolerance stack-up), Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, CAD, CAE analysis tools (thermal and structural) to enable high quality subsystem and system-level design decision making and executing design refinements
- Develop maintenance and spares plan for equipment to mitigate unplanned down time of manufacturing line.
- Define and execute system and component level Design Verification Plan and Report for equipment design.
- Provide feedback to Engineering team for any practical product changes to
- Use experience with component selection in working directly with suppliers to ensure their parts meet system requirements
- Must have a BSME degree, MSME or higher preferred
- 5+ years of mechanical design for products intended to operate in an outdoor environment for multiple decades
- Extensive experience with mechanically integrating systems
- Demonstrated excellent problem-solving skills
- Must have excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability of working well within a team and independently to achieve results.
- Advanced battery pack design and electronic assemblies
- Conducted Structural analysis on mechanical assemblies
- CAD 3D component and assembly design and 2D drawing creation
- Must have permanent legal authorization to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship
Why work at Ambri?
Ambri offers its employees a fantastic opportunity to advance a career while commercializing a transformative technology that will change the entire electricity industry. We are a venture capital-backed company with high-integrity leadership that is focused on making positive change. You will be working on a novel liquid metal battery technology in an environment that encourages creativity and out-of-the-box thinking while driving towards results. Our team is small, and you will have the opportunity to take on a great deal of responsibility. We have a top-tier benefits package and extra employee perks such as weekly company lunches and semi-annual community service outings.
Ambri is an MIT-spin-out company that is commercializing an innovative grid-scale electricity storage technology that will transform the way power grids are operated worldwide. Ambri’s ‘Liquid Metal Battery’ will lower electricity costs, enable more widespread adoption of renewable resources like wind and solar, and improve grid reliability. Ambri is headquartered in Marlborough, MA. The company is backed by top-tier investors including Bill Gates. We are constantly seeking intelligent, creative, and ambitious individuals to join our team to help us change the world.